UAP Rhinos, SDV Transami Cheetahs set up final clash


SDV Cheetah 22 vs Nguvu Sharks 7


The SDV Transami Cheetahs beat the Nguvu Sharks 22-7 on Saturday 21st May 2011 to set up a repeat final against defending champions UAP Rhinos.

Man of the match Duncan Ekasi put the 2004 and 2006 winners ahead with a try after just three minutes of play. Vincent Mose missed the conversion. The intervening period saw the Sharks take the game to their opponents, failing to utilize their chances as the Cheetahs, who would lose the inspirational Innocent Simiyu to injury, seemed content to soak up the pressure. Lawi Buyachi put them 10-0 ahead with another unconverted try.


Half time : SDV Transami Cheetahs 10 Nguvu Sharks 0


Felix Ayange's converted try in the 58th minute threw the game wide open, a three pointer, a potential cliff hanger. The Cheetahs left it late, dominating proceedings and coming close after Anthony Nyandigisi who had replaced the injured Simiyu chipped the ball over his opponents with Kelvin Omiyo missing the bounce in the Sharks dead ball area. Another substitute, Paul Oimbo, who has graced every Super Series tournament since its inception in 2003, scored a 77th minute try with Mose converting before Omiyo finally got his try, touching down on 79 minutes to give the Cheetahs a 22-7 win.


UAP Rhinos 38 Rwenzori 7


Leading 14-7 at half time, the UAP Rhinos eased to a 38-7 over Rwenzori, booking a slot in the 2011 Bamburi Rugby Super Series final. Isaac Adimo opened the scoring with a fifth minute try that he converted to give the defending champions 7-0 lead.

Rwenzori would not capitulate easily, making inroads into Rhinos territory without registering any points. The game would remain evenly contested until Victor Sudi, voted man of the match, grounded the ball after Rwenzori had conceded a penalty deep in their half. Adimo's conversion taking the score to 14-0 with three minutes of first half action left. Timothy Buloti pulled one back for the Ugandans on the stroke of half time with Anthony Kinene converting for a 14-7 half time score.


Half time: UAP Rhinos 14 Rwenzori 7


Second half action began with tentative play before Edwin Achayo from a Rhinos scrum down, played in Naftali Bondo who raced 30 yards, offloading to Victor Sudi who was stopped with the try line in sight. Sudi would soon add a second giving the Rhinos a 19-7 lead. Allan Omuka added to the Ugandan's misery, touching down with Adimo converting for a 26-7 lead before Achayo finally put his name on the score board, grounding for a 31-7. Sudi would complete his hat trick, Adimo converting for a 38-7 final score.