Investor relations

 
 

Bamburi Cement Corporate Information

Bamburi Cement Ltd. was founded in 1951 by Felix Mandl - a director of Cementia Holding A.G. Zurich. Cementia later went into partnership with Blue Circle PLC (UK) in October 1963. In June 1989, Lafarge, the world's largest building materials group, acquired Cementia, and thus became an equal shareholder with Blue Circle.

 

 

In April 1999, Bamburi Cement Limited acquired a significant stake in Hima Cement Ltd., which has a factory in Kasese, Western Uganda. In 2001, Lafarge bought Blue Circle to become the largest building materials company in the world and Bamburi Cement Limited’s principle shareholder.

 

In 1954, with an annual capacity of 100,000 tons, the company had an investment of £700,000 and a profit after tax of £734,000. Today, the company has an annual clinker and cement capacity of 1million tons and 2.5 million tons respectively and a market capitalization of close to USD$ 1 billion.  The company started trading at the Nairobi Securities Exchange in September 1970.